A curated list of awesome CircuitPython guides, videos, libraries, frameworks, software and resources.
CircuitPython is Adafruit's branch of MicroPython designed to simplify experimentation and education on low-cost microcontrollers. It makes it easier than ever to start prototyping by requiring no upfront desktop software downloads. With CircuitPython you can write clean and simple Python code to control hardware instead of having to use complex low-level languages like C or C++ (what Arduino uses for programming). It's great for beginners!
- In the news
- Art, logos, graphics
- Social media
CircuitPython.org is the first stop on the information snake highway. Here you can see all the supported boards and download the specific firmware for each one, including beta, latest, and previous versions. Downloads can be sorted by: maker, features, name, and more. At this time there are over 30+ boards supported in the CircuitPython family!
- Welcome to CircuitPython! - An overview of CircuitPython and the community.
- CircuitPython Essentials - Learning the essential functions of CircuitPython.
- learn.adafruit.com CircuitPython - Adafruit Learning Guides on CircuitPython.
- learn.adafruit.com CircuitPython & MicroPython - Guides on both CircuitPython and MicroPython.
- Adafruit CircuitPython Discord channel #CircuitPython - 24/7 chat and support on CircuitPython including a weekly podcast.
- Python on Hardware weekly VideoCast - The wonderful world of Python on hardware. Video-newsletter-podcast of all things Python and electronics.
- CircuitPython Weekly Meeting - Video archive of weekly community meeting via Discord, starting from September, 2017.
- Adafruit CircuitPython Forums - The Adafruit discussion forum on CircuitPython.
- Getting started with Circuit Playground Express by Mike Barela (or purchase as part of your order from the AdaFruit store) - Discusses the Circuit Playground Express including programming via CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython Development Workshop by Agus Kurniawan - This book helps you to get started with CircuitPython development. This book uses Adafruit ItsyBitsy M0 Express board for development testing board.
- Programming with MicroPython - by Nicholas H. Tollervey, includes CircuitPython - Discusses the MicroPython language.
- CircuitPython (latest)
- CircuitPython 4.0.0 Beta - And the announcement
- CircuitPython API Reference - A list of functions and documentation available for CircuitPython.
- Circuit Playground Express CircuitPython API Reference - The functions and documentation specific to the Circuit Playground Express using CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython GitHub Repository - The source code for CircuitPython on GitHub.
- Adafruit CircuitPython Libraries - Current Adafruit CircuitPython Libraries. There are over 130+ libraries available.
- Adafruit Blinka - CircuitPython Libraries on Raspberry Pi and other compatible single-board Linux computers.
- CircuitPython Cheat Sheet - Dave Astels's helpful cheat sheet on CircuitPython.
- The Mu Editor, IDE, REPL, and plotter for CircuitPython - The recommended Python editor for CircuitPython.
- For developers, Mu: A Python Code Editor - The documentation for Mu.
All supported boards can be located in the latest release builds - GitHub. If your board support CircuitPython, please do a pull request for it to be added. The latest boards which may not be included in the list below are on https://circuitpython.org
- Adafruit CircuitPython boards - Adafruit Circuit Playground Express, Adafruit Feather M0 Express, Adafruit Feather M4 Express, Adafruit Feather nRF52840 Express, Adafruit GEMMA M0, Adafruit Grand Central M4 Express featuring the SAMD51, Adafruit HalloWing M0 Express, Adafruit ItsyBitsy M0, Adafruit ItsyBitsy M4, Adafruit METRO M0 Express, Adafruit Metro M4, Adafruit NeoTrellis M4, Adafruit Trinket M0, Adafruit PyPortal.
- Arduino - Arduino MKR 1300, Arduino MKR ZERO, Arduino ZERO.
- Electronic Cats - CatWAN USB Stick, Meow Meow.
- MakerDiary - nRF52840 Micro Dev Kit USB Dongle.
- Mini Sam - Mini SAM development board.
- Nordic Semiconductor - nRF52840 DK board PCA10056, nRF52840 dongle PCA10059.
- Particle - Particle Argon, Particle Boron, Particle Xenon.
- SparkFun - SparkFun Pro nRF52840 Mini - Bluetooth Development Board, SparkFun SAMD21 Mini Breakout, SparkFun SAMD21 Dev Breakout. Sparkfun LumiDrive LED Driver, and SparkFun RedBoard Turbo - SAMD21 Development Board, support CircuitPython but are not in releases until pull request is received to add.
CircuitPython sensors and accessories - Complete listing of sensors, LCDs, displays, robotics, breakout boards, and more.
python.digikey.com - Digi-Key electronics has a listing of all Python-supported boards on their site in one location including CircuitPython and MicroPython boards.
- Adafruit Daily, Python for microcontrollers - A weekly newsletter on MicroPython and CircuitPython, a spam-free list.
- Contribute to newsletter - Guidelines on contributing to the newsletter.
- Archives of all newsletters - List of every newsletter published from the start, November 2016.
- VIDEO: PyCascades - Light Up Your Life - With Python and LEDs by Nina Zakharenko. Python opens a whole new world of working with wearable electronics.
- Use CircuitPython boards on the TI-83 Premium CE calculator - CircuitPython runs on Texas Instrument calculators.
- Make: Vol. 68 Boards guide - Make: Magazine names Python the #1 Tech Trend for boards in 2019!
- Scott Shawcroft Is Squeezing Python Into Microcontrollers - IEEE Spectrum Magazine article on the Python programming language for makers.
- Circuit Playground Express 4-H edition approved - The 4-H branded version was approved by the USDA, this is the first CircuitPython powered board that is also 4-H approved!
- CircuitPython in Space - CircuitPython provides an approachable and logical means of conducting science with hardware. Paired with low-cost hardware shown to work in space, we can enable an new generation to question and explore the unknown. With the necessary Ã¢â‚¬Å“satellite stuffÃ¢â‚¬Â already baked in, students can spend their time trying something new rather than reinventing the wheel.
- Adafruit PyPortal: GUI meets CircuitPython in a Big Way - Disrupt It Yourself podcast on CircuitPython and the IoT device, PyPortal.
- Cool Tools - Sophy Wong Talks Circuit Playground Express including CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython for Rapid Microcontroller-Based Prototyping and Development - Digi-Key on the open source community's efforts adapting specific microcontrollers and dev boards to support serious microcontroller development using CircuitPython.
- HackSpace Magazine - Issue 17 - CircuitPython powered Adafruut Grand Central M4 Express review.
- Python on Hardware Means Choices for Makers by Liz Clark - Apress. CircuitPython (a fork of MicroPython that is designed from the ground up to be beginner friendly.) This allows end users to use Python for their electronics hardware projects similar to how they may have used C/C++ with the Arduino IDE.
- Method's Magazine - Methods eZine: Design Trends & the Transformation of Everything features Python on hardware, page 35 - PDF.
- HackSpace Magazine - Issue 15 - CircuitPython makes the cover on HackSpace Magazine with feature article, and projects.
- CircuitPython in 2019 - Community call for what's wanted and needed in CircuitPython for 2019.
- CircuitPython in 2018 - An article discussing the future directions for CircuitPython 2018 edition.
- CircuitPython on the Adafruit.com/blog - Adafruit Blog posts discussing CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython in MicroSolutions Digital Magazine - MicrochipÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s MicroSolutions, Ã¢â‚¬Å“Python on MicrocontrollersÃ¢â‚¬Â in Design Corner article. MicroSolutions is MicrochipÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s bi-monthly digital magazine.
- CircuitPython Snakes its Way onto Adafruit Hardware - An article by MAKE on CircuitPython.
- Adafruit Circuit Playground Express review - Raspberry Pi reviews the Circuit Playground Express.
- The Amp Hour #383 - An Interview with Scott Shawcroft.
- CircuitPython on Hackaday - Hackaday posts related to CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython on hackster.io - hackster.io posts related to CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython on MAKE - CircuitPython related content on MAKE.
- CircuitPython Art Pack! Logos, banners, photos and Blinka! - Adafruit art relating to CircuitPython.
- #CircuitPython tagged on Twitter, latest - Twitter posts tagged CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython Twitter - Twitter account aggregator for CircuitPython news and more.
- CircuitPython videos on YouTube, latest - YouTube posts tagged CircuitPython.
- #CircuitPython tagged photos & videos on Instagram - Posts on Instagram tagged CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython on Google+ Makers, hackers, artists & engineers - Google Plus posts related to CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython - micropython.org forums - Articles on the MicroPython forums tagged for CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython tagged on Reddit - Reddit posts relating to CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython community on Reddit - Dedicated home of CircuitPython on reddit /r/circuitpython/
- CircuitPython on Hackaday.io - Currated list of projects on hackaday.io
- CircuitPython on hackster.io - Python on hardware projects on hackster.io including CircuitPython.
- CircuitPython on Instructables - How-tos, guides, and more, using CircuitPython on Autodesk's Instructables.
- Weekly community chat on Adafruit Discord server CircuitPython channel - Audio / Podcast edition - Audio from the Discord chat space for CircuitPython, meetings are usually Mondays at 2pm ET, this is the audio version on iTunes, Pocket Casts, Spotify, and XML feed.
- Python on hardware weekly video cast - The wonderful world of Python on hardware! This is our video-newsletter-podcast of all things Python and electronics! The news comes from the Python community, discord, Adafruit communities and more. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s part of the weekly newsletter, then we have a segment on ASK an ENGINEER and this is the video slice from that! This video podcast is on iTunes, YouTube, IGTV (Instagram TV), and XML.
- PyCon 2019 conference - May 1 - 9, 2019, Cleveland, Ohio. Digi-Key and Adafruit have teamed up for PyCon 2019 so every attendee (about 4,000!) will receive a SPECIAL EDITION Circuit Playground Express, running Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ CircuitPython.
This effort is to get Python on hardware to the most folks out there, at the events that bring people together.
What else is happening? The CircuitPython team will be running several Open Spaces sessions (as they did last year), showing how to use CircuitPython on the Digi-Key / Adafruit PyCon special edition Circuit Playground Express. WeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have extra addons to play with also: potentiometers, NeoPixel strips, and servos. The team will be running a CircuitPython Sprint for several days to work on CircuitPython libraries and CircuitPython core code. BYOMUSB Ã¢â‚¬Å“Bring your own Micro USBÃ¢â‚¬Â cables, weÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have some to borrow during the sprints/sessions, as well as some USB C adapters, good idea to bring one too!
- Weekly community chat on Adafruit Discord server CircuitPython channel - The Discord chat space for CircuitPython, meetings are usually Mondays at 2pm ET.
- Weekly Adafruit Show-and-tell, Wednesday 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts - The weekly Adafruit Show-and-tell program often has CircuitPython-related projects on display.
- ASK AN ENGINEER, Wednesday 8pm ET on YouTube LIVE - The longest running Youtube live show about electronics, information on CircuitPython each week during "Python on hardware segment".
- CircuitPython 4 release poster - CircuitPython release version 4 poster featuring Nordic.
- CircuitPython 3 release poster - CircuitPython release version 3 poster.
- Blinka the CircuitPython Limited Edition Enamel Pin - An enamel pin with the CircuitPython mascot.
- Blinka the CircuitPython Sticker - A sticker featuring Blinka, the CircuitPython mascot.
- Blinka the CircuitPython Temporary Tattoo - A temporary tattoo featuring the Blinka character.
- CircuitPlayground lanyard - CircuitPlayground lanyard featuring Blinka.
Contributions and suggestions are always welcome! Please make pull requests to modify Awesome CircuitPython.
License & Trademarks
To the extent possible under law, the authors have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.